Monday 10 August 2009

10 August 2009 Dartmouth summer camp

Just got back from another glorious week at Dartmouth. I love going to BRNC, it's a very special place. Lots of uniform changes and I usually managed to get it wrong and ended up going back up to my cabin to change, but it's nice to feel part of something special. The Royal Navy always make us feel like one of them, even though we aren't "real navy". It's great for the cadets who always manage to mix well together and by the end of the week have made new friends and really bond well.

I arrived at Totnes at about 3:10pm and got the minibus to the college. Found my cabin and met some old friends. The hike up the stairs is still quite a challenge especially with a heavy suitcase but i do try to take the bare mininum.

Sunday is an easy day as is Monday and tuesday morning. Then we get our first lot of cadets down on the river in the afternoon.

My job, as always, is instructing cadets on the whalers (officially singel screw craft). Although it gets quite monotonous going through the same thing over and over with different groups, it is pleasant to do with excellent company on the river.

Tuesday it was pouring down and I got soaked, even with my foulies on. The worst thing was getting everything wet, especially my mobile which was in the pocket which had a puddle in it when I got back to empty the pockets. One poor dead phone and panic set in. all my appointments were on it, photos etc. The carphone warehouse sent me a replacement the day after I phoned them. Good service and it only cost me £14 because I didn't have insurance.

I mangaged to do 5 runs into Dartmouth at 6am every morning except the last 3. I also took part in the annual ramp race against the cadets. Our team came 6th out of a possible 8, so we didn't do too badly for oldies.

No comments:

Post a Comment