Tuesday 7 April 2009

My last long run

Sunday morning bright and early I set off on my last slow run before tapering. I can't say I was ecstatic at the thought of another 22 miles but set off on my previous week's journey. Down the A6 to Bamber Bridge and along to St Mary's Road where I took a left and continued down to Preston Road in Lostock Hall. I planned to have my first gel after 1 hour and then every 45 mins. This time I didn't bother with the bottles and just jammed the gels into my belt. The hour came just as I had crossed the by pass where the old Leyland Clock used to stand and so out came the gel and water.
It was a lovely clear sunny morning. Not many people about, but more than last week when the clocks went forward (not surprising). Two older ladies with trainers on were across the road, I think they were just out for a walk.
I continued down Preston Road and through Farington, hoping to see someone I knew, but no one I knew was around. Nevermind, just carried on to Golden Hill Lane and to the end where I turned left on to Leyland Lane, past the old Tiger (now flats). I started to wonder whether to just do two loops of this run instead of going through Euxton and Chorley as I was pretty tired, but held on to my decision until the last moment.
Worden Park for a pit stop then on up past Runshaw College and Bent Bridge. Over the motorway and then turned left to do a two lap run. I knew, at least, that if I did get overtired I could take a short cut back home, whereas if I had gone through Chorley and up those dreaded hills, I might not have the energy to continue. I honestly think that last week's effort was the peak for me.
So back around the loop and then Stanifielf Lane where I decided to take one of my short-cuts through Lever house estate. i turned up by Haydock's farm and through St Annes Road which leads out to St Ambrose Church. Turned left down Moss Lane past Smy old school St Catherine's under the motorway and up on to the A49 past Dr Shorrock's. From then on it was just up Lancaster Lane and Sheep Hill back to home. 19.4 miles. I was supposed to do 20 so that wasn't far off.
Now it's taper time and I feel like I've been let down by my personal trainer who told me not to come anymore until after the marathon. The problem there is that he used to give me loads of encouragement which I don't get from anyone else and my enthusiasm for the training is down to a real low.
Anyway, 6 slow miles tomorrow then 6 miles steady before 17 miles on Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment