Monday 2 February 2009

1 Feb 2009

A very cold, windy morning in Chorley with snow forecast. After my tea and 3 very small flapjacks and an hour to let them settle, I set off for Chorley harriers Sunday meet up.
Johnny had rung me the previous night to say he couldn't go because he'd been roped into going on a relay race over in Rossendale. So it was up to me to set the route. He gave me an idea of where to go and I set about sorting out the route. I quite enjoyed route mapping. I already had a map of the area because of the Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme that I'm involved in, but thought I'd double check the distance with www.mapmyrun.co.uk .
So, I met up with the others at the cricket club, Nicki, a fast runner, Shelly a bit faster than me and Pam, also faster than me but recovering from injury. I was a bit worried about Pam, but she said she'd go slowly (just my speed). It turned out to be a very hilly run and it didn't do Pam's knee any good. Wind towards us all the way up Long Lane to the pub at the end of the Lane. Turned left towards Anglezarke reservoire and followed the road to the Yew Tree pub and another long hill. Turned left down Charnock Back Lane and then right towards Kay's Farm at the side of the reservoire. The lane turns into a bridle path, Heapey Fold Lane which runs uphill to the back of Healey Nab forest. This took us down to higher house Lane where we turned left then right down to White Coppice Ford. We then turned left on to Coppice Lane and across the field at the pub that's not a pub and onto Chapel Lane. Uphill and down again onto Blackburn Road, crossed over and past the Red Cat turned right and ran alongside the canal to the Top Lock where we got on to the canal towpath. Great!!A nice flat run back. Unfortunately this was not to be as part of the towpath was closed off, so we had to turn left and up yet another hill to Dark Lane. That's where Pam's knee gave way. Poor girl had to hobble down to the pub and wait outside whilst we ran back to get the car to pick her up. Nicki was the fastest runner so she ran on ahead and went back for her.
12.86 miles, 2hrs 31 mins. Very hilly

No comments:

Post a Comment