Tuesday 24 February 2009

NW great run Blackpool 22 feb 2009

Really pleased with this run today.
Graham and I set off with Chaz the dog really early in the morning after eating some porridge for breakie. I wanted to get there early to secure a parking spot on Gynn square. Managed to get a spot looking out to the sea which was nice. The weather didn't look too promising and it was very cold and windy. Only to be expected for Blackpool I suppose. We went for a bit of a sally round to find a newsagents and take Chaz for a bit of a walk. I also wanted to find the Hilton hotel for the start. The sound man was setting up (yes it was THAT early) Not many people at registration, just one or two probably helpers. After paying 20p at one of the extortionate loos on the sea front we found some at the back of the hotel for free. Oh well too late. Managed to find a newsagents and made our way back to the camper. Made a drink and got changed ready for the race. i wasn't sure what to wear tights and jumper or shorts and club vest? I settled for all the above but decided to lose the jumper at the start.
It was bitter cold at the start but once we got to the start mark itself with all the runners around it seemed to warm up a bit.
I found the Runners World 10min mile marker and decided to run with him but soon found that I was outpacing him so I just carried on talking to a lady named clare who was good company for a while but then I started to outpace her as well. I got a bit of a shock when someone shouted my name and when i looked up it was Louise who i used to run with round Chorley and her hubby. It's so uplifting to have someone cheering you on. Then someone else recognised the harriers vest and shouted well done Chorley. Great stuff.
The water didn't taste very good on the first lap but I needed some on the second lap and to be honest it didn't taste as bad. Maybe someone told them. It would've been nice to have some energy drink instead at some point even if they were small amounts.
It still brings back happy memories when I see Blackpool tower and sure enough coming up Queens Parade you just see it as you come round the corner and on to the prom. The second time round is even better because there's only 1 mile left to go. I knew I'd got a good time because I had the garmin on. On the first lap i was in line for getting a 2hr finish, but must have lost a bit on the second lap and finished in 2 hrs 10 mins a PB for me as the last half I did was in Nottingham at 2h 26mins but that was a hillier run.
Got a nice goody bag at the end with lots of things in it but the tea shirt was cotton. i hate cotton tea shirts for running in so I gave it to Jason for work.
Got back to the camper and had a shower whilst Graham put some breakfast on. Lovely, bacon, sausage egg and tomatoes and a cup of tea (unfortunately it was pretty horrid tea, some sort of earl grey and very weak).
Took the dog on the beach for a run since the tide had gone out and he enjoyed it. We couldn't get to the sea because of all the little rivulets crossing the sand and I didn't want to get my boots wet.
Got home at about 4:15 just in time to catch Asda before it shut at 5pm.
Lovely day out. Running Man Big Hugthis one's for Eve





No comments:

Post a Comment